Sunday, December 29, 2013

Monday, December 16, 2013

Monday, December 16, 2013

Hello! Update from Midwood!

So much going on here, so many changes!  Our district is so different, but it is just as great! Last transfer we were called the Midwood Mere Kats... This week; Magpies. This week we did the same goal as last time for Fearlessing people.  We changed our goal from 500 to 400 because we lost a whole companionship, now down to 4 companionships plus the senior couple, the Mckells. We love them.  We hit our goal; it's been a fun journey.  We get to meet some amazing people.  My favorite part about having number goals is that a person represents that number, and we have been able to meet 400 PEOPLE. So awesome!

My companion’s name is Sister Hodgson!  She is AWESOME!  Can I just say, she is adjusting to mission life like a pro.  I sometimes forget she is new... Her teaching skills are better than mine, and unlike me- she has not had a mental breakdown from being here. My first week in the mission ranks the hardest one yet- so I'm grateful she is handling change so well!

We had a special experience that was simple, but huge. We haven't been able to get in touch with our investigator and we were a little worried, but decided that we would just stop by her house.  As we were walking to her apartment building she was walking toward us and we were able to talk to her more about her concerns and the things that she is worrying about. Her grandson who is so interested in the church will have basketball over church time next year, so we are sad about that. Church will be moved from 9am to 12:30. 

Sister Hodgson really is on top of teaching.  She spent an extra week in the MTC and was able to teach TONS of lessons. Upwards of like 30, I remember only teaching a few, plus.  You can tell that she really is a natural.

It snowed like nobody's business the other day.  That massive coat is so good for it.  I had a guy on the train ask me about why I was dressed so bulky.  I just told him I was from California and then he understood.  Oh, and my boots... Love those things!  A ward member gave me another pair of legging tights that have fleece in them! I am so thankful!

We had a Christmas party/program!  It was fantastic, there was a nativity and we sang as a district for a musical number. We have a talented ward :) Bishop even played the piano!  It was a great opportunity for Sister Hodgson to meet everyone in the ward!

I have been learning a lot about how The Lord qualifies who he calls.  He has been helping me a lot with all the responsibility that has been given to me, and made it do-able.  I feel overly stressed every once in a while, but I do know how to do missionary work.  I just didn't realize how much I knew how to do until I had to lead an area and a new missionary.  The mission has sure humbled me a lot. :)

Tyson looked like he had fun- I had no idea MASH was filmed by our home. Where is it?

As far as Christmas goes, I can skype or FaceTime, with FaceTime I won't have to create a new skype account, probably anytime that day.  Can I give you details when it gets closer? I'm really excited!  It just creeped up on me!  I had no idea it was so close until Amber said something the other week!
This week was a great opportunity to do a lot of turn over for organization.  We spent a lot of time organizing referrals and "paper-y" work... Even though it's digital. The stylus will be soooooo handy to have. Being outside in the 30* [with a wind-chill of teens] the thought of taking off the gloves is horrendous.
Last week for p-day I got a 2 dollar, fake, small Christmas tree and spent a few dollars on a strand of Christmas lights to use all the families Christmas ornaments :) I love it! It just feels like Christmas now:)

Today, we unpacked Sister Hodgson and did the regular things.

At church there was a spectacular talk on the atonement.  It was spectacular. Our desires are to change, and when we rely on the Savior that is how we will be able to have that.  We are so blessed to be able to have the atonement in our life to rely on.  It makes me pumped to keep changing.  Be "forever changed," as President always says, and "let the mission change you!" Don't think you can do it alone, it's not possible.

I just want to rely on the spirit, it is easy to get caught up in the busy-ness of a mission and lose track of that every once in a while.  I am the most happy and see more miracles when I do. Agh! Does anyone else think it's cool we get to have the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost after we are baptized and live worthy?  It's one of my favorite parts about the gospel of Jesus Christ.  We work from the "12 week program" when we are new missionaries, and I took a little progress test while we were studying from it this week.  I realized just how much I love the gift of the Holy Ghost and I am constantly reminded how key it is in conversion and missionary work. 

Something I love is just how much I notice when the spirit leaves.  In my setting apart blessing it says that when I feel the spirit leave I am to get on my knees and ask for it again.  Something I want to be better at doing.

I love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment