HOLYYYY MOLY! I LOVE NEW YORK!
I am feeling like I know people more, and am building
relationships-- so that is so great!
Some highlights from the week- we met with a less active, and he committed (and was excited about) coming to church on Sunday! We can't wait! We met with him at the park and had a
picnic with our branch missionary!! She rocks! Seriously
though! She dedicates so much time to helping us and makes it a priority! Her
son is out on a mission, that gives her a lot of motivation to help those around
her seeking for the truth. President
Anderson, the best branch president asked us to focus a lot on the less
actives in the ward. So we got our
English list and have been going to town! We visit people on their birthdays
and give them cookies and a card. A lot of people have moved on our list or are
clearly not interested; which is sad, but as long as they know they are
remembered and thought of... I think that makes a huge difference.
We were asked by President Calderwood to pray in all of our
prayers to ask to be "led to the honest in heart, including
families." Seriously, I see a HUGGGGE difference in the work in just 2
weeks! We had a Sisters Conference and the highlight message of the whole thing
was what we ALLLL needed to hear! It was focused on our weaknesses becoming
strengths and we learned to read our patriarchal blessing differently. Anything
we are blessed with can be changed to a skill or ability Heavenly Father has
given us. For example. "I bless you.... read your scriptures..." etc.
can be looked at as, "you have the ability to read your scriptures. If you do that with your whole blessing you
will see how powerful it really is and how much you HAVE been blessed with.
On Thursday we had a trainer/
trainee meeting with the mission. It was
great. I learned a lot!
I write my tender mercies down for each day now and what I've
learned. You learn a lot on a
mission... just saying.
A neat experience for the week is that there is a lady that came
to church and she is BEYOND ready to receive the gospel. She came on her own
and we will start teaching her Saturday! She is so interested in Relief society and
Visiting and Home teaching. Her name is Lorna!
:)
So, just to
confirm, have you received the box of 5 journals? Yes thanks! I'm
realizing I went through that last journal in a MONTH! I think the 9 journals I bought won't be
enough..... oh well. We'll deal with that
when we get to that point, I guess :) haha
How many members are in your branch? 450
How many members attend your branch? 100ish
active
Do you feel like you are in a safe
area? VERYYYY safe. Not like what you would normally think of New York Do you feel scared at all about being out knocking doors or just
being out? No. Not in Lynbrook.
It's a really nice area. Really upscale.
There are only 2 cities that we don't go
to at night. But it's fine in the day
time for sure. I LOOOOVE it here. The
weather is haywire though! We literally
had to take off our shoes because we were wading in ankle deep water. haha Crazy!
We even got a text with a flash flood
warning. Cool right?!
Do you get many men/boys who are
interested in you that you have to fend off? Not many. I know... I know...
SUPER surprising, right? hahaha
**** was telling me last night that it is her understanding that all new missionaries are
assigned to their trainers for 12 weeks. She said that is new church
policy because of the decreased time at the MTC; missionaries are required to
pass off certain requirements within the first 12 weeks. Do you know anything
about that? Yes, there is a 12 week program. It's great- we find it's
hard to do because we spend a lot of time studying for our investigators... but
it's really handy. They have online stuff to complete too.
Have you played the piano or led the music at church yet? No, they
have the youth do it in Sacrament and switch weekly. It's not really a calling. Our organist is Elder Olson's wife. Elder Olson is a member of the quorum of the
70. Ask Grandma Freeze about the LDS newspaper she sent me- the man
in the article was him. He is in
our branch. Greatest family!
I finally got a library card.
They really didn't want to give me one so now our computer time is upped
to 2 hours if we need it. Apparently
there is no mission rule about how long to spend on the computer so we just do
our best to hurry. I have been fixing a
lot of my skirts with the thread I have.
So glad I have it. Most are ripping at
seems (yes... probably cuz I'm fat) so they are easy fixes. Our mission allows maxi skirts. So I might buy one or two when I'm out of
skirts.
All is well! I honestly
do love it here, things are just falling into place. It is nice to finally see fruit come from our
hard work.
OH! and Sister **** got midnighted! :(:( (means to leave
mid transfer) I was soooo sad! So we got Sister **** . (I think that's how you
spell it) She rocks!
Keep up the greatness. Love
my fan club! Stay safe! What's the weather like there?
--love Sister Freeze
No comments:
Post a Comment