Sunday, May 19, 2013

JaLynn in the MTC!


This is JaLynn's first letter home when she first got to the MTC.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear fan club ;) That's what I call everyone from home here. 

I love you guys so much!
Today is our first p-day. They give 30 min to email. So it'll be short.
I love my comp. We are very similar in personality. She is so funny. She is Canadian and has great words for things ;) The bathroom is the washroom and beenies are toque (tuuuuks...). We love her! We pray together all the time. The teachers here are all soo young, just off their mishes and they are so smart and knowledgeable. I can't wait to see how much I will have learned by the time I get home too.
They work you til you are tired everyday. There is never a moment where you don't wish you could take a nap, but I felt like that before my mission too ;) haha but I have learned so much! You never know what day it is. I love our sister training leader and zone. The elders in my district are funny!
The spirit is so strong here. There is never a moment where I don't feel it. One of the brothers here told us that when we need to get to the point where we think about our investigators while we brush our teeth. I can't wait for that moment.
I got called to be the music coordinator for the Sunday I am here.  I love it. I had no idea my talents would be so helpful so soon.
Love it here. Sorry it is so short.
Keep the LETTERS coming. Email is hard.
;) you guys are the best. I'm glad i'm not too homesick.
Keep praying and reading scrips.
Sister Freeze!!

-----------------------------------

This is her most recent email home to us:)

-------------------------------------------

So.....
I have more time than we thought. Since the rule changed to email friends we get an hour.
We aren't allowed to write letters during the week, so throughout the week I write bullet points in my journal as I think of them to type home.
My district is like my new "family" they are the best support when you don't have your family here. We have 4 elders and 6 sisters. Apparently we have a huge district.
I leave the 13th--morning at 4am. I can call home from the airport. I have a layover in Denver-- keep your phone on you all morning. The lay over is at 8:48 CO time, I leave CO at 10:45 and arrive in NY at 4:30  NY time.
Here are some of my scattered thoughts from the week:
-We teach fake investigators-- and one sister gave her home phone number. We couldn't stop laughing. We just imagined the lady calling her mom or something. Too funny.
-We dream 2 Nephi 31 now. Literally. I did one night reciting our purpose-- and then my comp woke up and said that she woke up in the night having to pee and that in her groggy state of mind tried to relate our purpose as missionaries to her investigator's needs: needing to pee. We are constantly told we need to relate the physical/ spiritual needs to the purpose of missionary work. haha
-I'm memorizing faster than I ever knew possible. It is such a blessing.
-This made me think of mom. "Don't be a blue donkey" haha it was a quote from a devo we had. Basically, don't be depressed about not getting baptisms. That's Eeyore's job.
- Don't waste the Lords time is what I've learned.
-My companion has a neat conversion story. She was baptized at 8, then went completely inactive, and came around full circle. She rocks.
-After being here a week and a few days, I have realized that you can't rely on yourself to do anything. Its the Lords work, you need help from him.
-You'd all be so proud. I've only looked for my phone 2 times since being here.
-Yesterday. We sang sweet hour of prayer at around 120 bpm. (the fastest it should be is 92.) I was laughing so hard I couldn't sing.
-One of my teachers looks like the Dr. yes. Doctor Who. I knew you would appreciate that Amber.
-I sang in the missionary choir. Mainly to ensure a good seat- but singing was a blast! :)
-I've seen so many people I know here. Claire Rhom was my host the first day, I've seen rose's roommate that I met when we did the UT/ID road trip with the boys, I saw Tember, Dane from junior high, Sister Kimball from being an ordinance worker, Sister Baird from temple, Serena Gardener from Goldenwest ward. It is the best to just sit and talk to them at meals. A lot of them are suppose to be gone, but aren't cuz of their visas. 
-Food is bomb. Probably gained weight.
-Gym time is the funnest. 
-My friends think i'm good at volleyball. I haven't laughed so hard before. My Wednesday volleyball crew can attest that I suck.
-Being on time to things is hard.
-Waking up is even harder.
-I love all my investigators! We committed one of them to baptism! and another lesson just went amazing! We teach about 2 times a day and do role plays with our companions roughly 50 times a day.
-Best investigator story: "Belinda" yelled at us, and screamed "NO! You can't pray in my home and invite those spirits!" and "IF YOU SAY THE WORD PRAYER AGAIN I WILL KICK YOU OUT OF OUR HOUSE!" ...pointer finger in our face and everything :) haha
-One of the sisters in our district dropped her ID card that you swipe for meals and laundry in the toilet. After she did her business.
-Being at the MTC feels so safe. Leaving here is a hard concept to wrap our heads around. We constantly say "how can we go into the real world after being at the MTC so "long" [Yes. Two weeks feels like the best 2 years of your life ;)] if this transition is so crazy-- what will it be like from NY back to HB. haha :)
- The church is true. My testimony has only been strengthened while being here! I seriously love studying my scriptures and being in this atmosphere all day everyday. As hard as it is I could do it forever. I pray for you all the time. 

I didn't think I would be the cheesy missionary that wrote letters to people and tell them that they should read the scripture and pray more, but in two weeks I have become that! READ YOUR SCRIPTURES! And make the extra effort to say family prayers. It makes all the difference in the world. The spirit will be with you more. I promise.

Email, then send me a letter so I can read it in more detail. I have to just skim it while I am on the computer.

Love, 
Sister Freeze

No comments:

Post a Comment