Monday, July 15, 2013

Monday, July 1, 2013

:) I love you guys!
 This week went by so fast! Thank you for doing the iPod Amber and Dad- Sister Lee and I are looking forward to getting it!
 You asked all the right questions, mom- you had down what I was going to tell, so that made it easier for me to answer it! haha
We had a neat experience this week- We took a member with us to visit some families in Heapstead and we fearlessed this woman who was great!  The whole conversation started because we liked her hair and told her!  It spurred a conversation of families and she gave us her number and when she gets back from being out of town we'll call.  It's the little things that are tender mercies.  That same day we went to visit a LA (Less Active) man, but met his nonmember wife- she just had her ceiling fall in and was taking care of a lot of different things so with tears streaming down her face, we blessed her home (term we use to say we prayed with her). She asked us to come back again.  We meet some wonderful people every day.
Sister Lee and I were asked to start teaching an "every member a missionary" Sunday School class each week.  Our mission is trying to get these classes started in every ward/branch.  It will be the same class every week (for 5 weeks) and different people will rotate into the class, so not too many people are missing the regular Sunday School class.  It will be a great way to get the members pumped about missionary work.  Speaking of this class- the zone leaders trained us on how to teach it- and in the middle of it Elder Parker passed out because he was sick!  It was quite scary!  He was out for a solid 10 seconds, but came conscious.  I have never experienced seeing something like that.
Our Zone leaders, Elder Labaron and Elder Brilles have named this transfer the "Iron Man" transfer. haha!  They went and bought iron man masks and did a dance.  We are all to buy a mask- and put a scripture in it for the transfer vision that we have. :)
I continue to love it here.  I LOOOOVE the people, I actually get depressed that I can't become best friends with all of them, but with continued faith and help of the Lord, hard work, and learning the best ways to do the work we will find and teach :)
I'm glad Craig doesn't think I've changed! Holy moly-- I'm surprised I don't look fatter! ;)
I had my first Haitian meal!  It was delicious!  Rice, plantains and this really good flavored chicken!
I think that is it for this week!  President is hounding "vision, goals and plans" so we have been trying to refine our planning skills.  I was given the idea to create a vision goals and plans for my mission as a whole.  I will keep you posted, but I think I might have my mission vision be "Keeping the Constant Companionship of the Holy Ghost" :)
I love you all- hope all is well!  I literally feel the prayers from everyone, so thank you!  Get a pass along card from the church and hand it out to anyone!  It is a great opportunity to bear your testimony!
Have you tried out the Mom's Chinese Restaurant across the street from your pad? We actually haven't, but Sister Lee has said previously she wants too haha :)  I'm glad you can see the area.  We work in other towns too, Hempstead (sketchy at night), Garden City, Uniondale, Valley Stream, and Hewlett.  
Who did you teach this week?  No investigators.   We are having a really rough time getting peoples schedules to align.  So many cancelations - it doesn't help that we have been focusing a lot on less actives so no time to really find.  When we set goals this week - that was what our plan was: find like no bodies business, then arrange for appointments, pray we get people that will allow us back.
What did you do on P-day?  P-day was Elder Campbell's last -day here- so we celebrated!  We went bowling ("randomly" saw a less active YSA from the branch there and then we went to get ice cream! :)  So much fun!  Sister Mcrath insisted on bumpers-- so I won the second game ;)  It was enjoyable!
Are you learning any Spanish phrases while you are around Spanish speakers or Creole phrases for that matter?    No, not really.  I'm not really around it enough to catch things... I probably get more Korean from Sister Lee than anything haha.
Any stories about reactivation efforts that you can share?  There is this AMAZING woman that we met yesterday.  Her name is Shirley.  Get this,  her maiden name is actually Temple.  I laughed so hard!  She has quite the testimony of the church from what I can tell- we plan to go back often.  I feel like we spend a lot of time visiting teaching essentially because VT is just being started here.  So a lot of visits with an Ensign talk is what we do.  I love it though.  There are some amazing people that no one even goes out to visit- I feel blessed to have the opportunity.
Have you volunteered at the senior center yet?  Yes! It was great!  We worked in the area with the people that have dementia.  It was so sad - you can't help but see that Heavenly Father holds them dear. I am excited to go back.
If so what did you do?  We seriously just talk to them, we also helped the activities coordinator put on a 101 year olds birthday party!  The woman said the trick to living that long is a drink a day! haha... maybe we can come by with a word of wisdom pamphlet ;) jk  What service did other missionaries do?  idk- we go on different days

Love you! Sister Friz-eezy.

No comments:

Post a Comment