Monday, June 10, 2014
Hello!
Lots to
report this week. Our p-day is on Tuesday because Elder Nielsen of the 70 came
for the mission tour. We were the first
stake of missionaries to hear him speak. He will go to the other stakes of missionaries
today and tomorrow to finish it off. It
was spectacular! I look forward to
sharing my thoughts. Today our p-day is
also cut short, because we have to leave Bensonhurst today at 2:15 to make it
to the office for another MLC at 4:00. President called a special MLC (normally
it is only once a month, but we have 2 since Elder Nielsen is coming) I look
forward to it.
So, last Monday for P-day we played a game of
clue that the elders in our district bought, and we played that as a district,
and the elders from Midwood came and played with us too. It was fun. I also got the new Toms. My other shoes were terrible, a year and a
half of walking... nuts. When I was in Plainview I bought some shoes, but they
were cheap and not made for walking in.
I thought that I wouldn’t ever be back in the city. Boy was I wrong...
so the Toms help me a lot.
Tuesday was so crazy, we were kind of in a
bad mode because we ended up having to cancel quite a few appointments since we
had a STL meeting to attend. We tried
everything in our power to make an exchange work so that we could be in two
places as once, but to no avail. The
meeting ended up being great though-- we were able to get Mission wide-sister
exchanges all set up and planned out except for the new ASL SISTERS that are
coming next week :) We are so excited to have them come to the mission. Right
now, we have our first 2 ASL missionaries in the mission, so to have 4 will be
spectacular! :) The ASL pool is growing bigger than it ever has. There are two
missionaries here that transformed the whole pool, president said at our last
MLC he was going to shut down the ASL program because it was so slow, but they
elders did work and a family of 8 was baptized into the deaf branch this year.
Phenomenal!
Wednesday was a great day-- we were able to
go to Prospect Park and paint benches! That was fun for me to be here this year
again, because last year even though I wasn’t able to go to that day of service
my zone painted the same benches just a year earlier. Amazing how time just flies away... I’m not a
fan. Ha-ha! But, we had a blast painting, it was a more memorable day of service. They had these jump suits that we could wear,
so Sister Montgomery and I were the only ones that did. We just had a fun time. Apparently we have
been coming to Prospect Park for longer than 5 years. We try and talk to the
people that work/volunteer there and the woman in charge was so cool :) She has
such great leadership skills! I love people that just are fun loving and TAKE
CHARGE! So, as we painted we talked to her and she really just loves the missionaries.
Next time we go I really want to be able to talk to her again and see if we can
give her an opportunity to learn more about the church-- to be honest I don’t
know if she has been able to have the opportunity yet. Each week after service
we go to Wendy’s for lunch, and so we went there-- Sister Montgomery and I just
packed a lunch though. Trying to save money and calories.
That night
we were able to have a great lesson with Sister Rose! She went to the temple
Thursday and so we were able to prep her with any last min things before she
went! :) We worked on getting her things set up for her family history so that
she could have names to baptize.
Thursday was a great day all around! We were able to have MLC-- and that was Stake
Temple day, so Sister Rose got to be baptized for her mom and grandma!
She was on top of the world! She would not stop talking about how she felt
and things for days afterward! She is
not too old but her body is not healthy and this was a great thing for her to
do. She is working toward getting her
endowment as well now!
At MLC
president talked about the Holy Ghost. I am telling you, I learned SO much! It was amazing how much I didn't understand
about it. I think I might just copy and paste my notes from the meeting.... I
actually felt like the things that he said were very enlightening. ((((((Mom,
if you feel like it-- you don’t have to post the notes... I can't tell if they
are too hard to understand.))))))
-----
LIGHT OF CHRIST:
The light
of Christ, is not a personage, and is what tells us what is right and wrong. When
we feel guilt-- feelings that tell us not to do something or TO do something.
POWER OF THE HOLY GHOST:
--Also
known as the influence of the Holy Ghost.
--Teaches
people of truth, how we got iPad-- how we get medicine and things... :)
--We have
experiences in our life where we get to feel night and day differences.
THE HOLY SPIRIT OF PROMISE:
This is
related to covenants and promises that we make-- and can also be confirmed when
we do acts of righteousness.
GIFTS OF THE SPIRIT
*Discernment
-We can ask
the Lord what is the problem, and he will allow us to know how to help them.
-When
someone asks us a question, ASK ourselves/the Lord what they really mean.
HOW DO WE HELP OTHERS UNDERSTAND
WHAT THE SPIRIT IS:
--Clarity
--There is
not cloudiness
We need to
tell the people that we are working with WHEN they are feeling it. They will
not recognize it as what it is if we don't.
The spirit
will impress different things in our mind depending on the experiences we have
had in our life.
I can
understand that we receive revelation the same/similar ways to how the prophets
do. Just because someone is a prophet, or because they are an apostle, they
often still receive revelation the same ways that we do. Which means that we
don't have different potential then they do. They are learning to govern
themselves the same way that we do which means that we have the same divine
potential that they do.
Sister Calderwood: The Holy Ghost is our constant
companion. I know what it is like to have a constant companion 24/7, imagine my
companion critiquing my driving all the time in EVERY move that we make. That
would be so annoying. Take the knowledge that I have learned from Drivers Ed
and apply it. I don’t need someone to
tell me everything in those moments. It
is the same way with the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost. He really
leads us and guides us-- but he is not going to tell us everything in this
life-- He will allow us to use him when we don’t know something and when we
need to gain further insight.
-----
I just know
that the Holy Ghost can be our constant companion, I am trying to work on being
someone that can really have the constant companion of the Holy Ghost. I love
Him, and want him to be around. I was asked to speak on our relationship with
Heavenly Father for next sacrament meeting, which is Father's Day. I am looking
forward to that. I know that we are blessed to be Gods sons and daughters. I
feel so much gratitude for Heavenly Father sending his Son. I know that we all
have an opportunity to live in a mansion with our Father in Heaven again-- I
just don't want any of us to blow it so we can all live together again too ha-ha!
I can't imagine feeling this separation that i feel now from you for eternity
because we all couldn't make it to the celestial kingdom.
At MLC we
had a fun time, because we were able to have the Calderwood's high school
friends come to the meeting for a short minute. It was a great faith building
experience for us. President and Sister Calderwood met in high school, and went
to seminary and things together, and so-- that's where their love spurred.....
and apparently from these high school friends they were the kings of missionary
work in high school. Several of their friends were baptized. So, long story
short there were two friends that came, and one of those people was a convert
after high school. Both of the Calderwood’s friends served missions and now the
convert has 2 exchange students over and they aren't members and they wanted to
see "Real, live missionaries" as they said.
So that was fun for them. I learned that there are 8 languages in our
mission as of now... Korean is a new language since I have been here!! It was
cool to see 'Real growth' convert baptisms come forth to strengthen the church.
There is so much of that around here, practically most of the members of the church
here in NY are converts and a lot of those converts are within the last 5ish
years. SO. Cool.
k-- Last
thing from MLC. The standard of excellence changed for the mission. Did I talk
about this?? Don’t remember... either way. So we have standards that are given
for the missionaries to raise their vision. For example 20 new investigators in
6 weeks (NOT an easy task...) or committing someone to baptism every first
lesson. But this time we just added some standards of excellence, this one
being simply to extend a baptismal date on every first lesson :) I am not going
to lie, I had to put a lot of faith in this, and just kind a skeptical. But
when we did our role play/ lightening round (lightning round is when you take
the main ideas and bullet points in PMG and list off the simple doctrine in 1-2
minutes simply to commit it to memory and a role play is when you take the same
points and TEACH them in a format that is simple and clear, and then we
critique each other!) In the role play for this, we had a special experience. We
were doing the role play with the new standard and we felt the spirit so
strong. We did it as if there was a member with us, and we were able to extend
the commitment and date as if in a first lesson. It was something that really
changed my whole outlook. I knew at that point that it was totally possible and
I was stoked to be able to apply it one day :)
Friday Sister Montgomery and I were able
to teach a lesson with a woman that we have visited several times now. It was
quite the miracle lesson! We had our amazing relief society president with us
and we were planning to teach her the lessons all over again. So we went
prepared with the restoration lesson, and when we went all we did was talk
about how God loves her and how the gospel can bless her family and she opened
up all of these different things that we never knew. I had gained a bigger
testimony of how preparing enables us to be able to reach the needs of others.
We have to tell God what we are going to do- so that he can prepare the hearts
of others to receive the message in a way that is for them. Long story short
she committed to come to church! MIRACLES!!!!! :):):):) AND SHE ACTUALLY CAME!
I prayed so hard. She loved church and felt the spirit. Even the lesson at
church was totally for her in RS... co cool.
Also, we
had a grand time with our iPad training. The church came out with an official document
that is our 'online pros handbook' if you will and so the Assistants asked us
to help them make questions for a game of jeopardy. That was fun. We will have
to send the pictures of them and their mustaches. It was the funniest training
I have ever been to. :) I love the hand book, very insightful.
Anyway, Saturday, I went on an exchange... I went to Bushwick to visit Sister McGrath! Alight,
let me tell you... reminisce central. When we were in Lynbrook we served
together. I have not talked about Lynbrook so much since being there and we
just LAUGHed and laughed and laughed as we told stories. She is only one
transfer older than me, and it was amazing for me to see the growth in her and
know that the Doctrine of Christ is changing us all. She is just soaring and
working her behind off-- super proud. I learned a lot. We did a street sweep
that was kind of fun! We had paper that was laminated that said "I pray when..." with the church
name on it, and then went around and told people that we were taking pictures
of people with their answer and asking if we could post it on FB to help the community see the
importance of prayer. :) It was neat.
Back to Sunday---
Sister Montgomery taught one of our investigators who is 10, and in a part
member family while we were on exchanges and let me tell you we found out that
she chose to come on her own accord to church with her grandma. Her grandma
didn't even invite her... It was so neat... she got herself all dressed and
ready, and ask if she could come with her active grandma who said yes :) How
special. :)
Okay, so in
preparation for Elder Nielsen-- since it was a mega zone thing at our church
building, we were asked to clean the building as missionaries. So when we went
to the building we got out the mops and stuff and started going to town. Well, long
story short I went to wring out the mop in the yellow mop bins and slipped, and
spilled the WHOOOOOLE bucket of soapy water on the floor. HYSTERICAL. Until you
hear the next part. I fell into a squat to catch myself and ripped my skirt. Pictures
to come. Hahaha!
The
conference was great!! We just talked about improving and progressing into
better people. We had a great conference and was able to feel the spirit so
strong. As soon as he walked in the room I started bawling. We talked about the
Doctrine of Christ and had lunch, and broke into groups with sisters and elders
in different rooms and talked about different things. We talked about how the
doctrine of Christ has changed us. When we came back together we were able to
have a testimony session and closing remarks. President and Sister Calderwood
just spoke on the Holy Ghost again. The ZL's and STL's tend to hear the same
things over and over again, which I actually like-- I feel like I am learning
it better.
ONE MORE
MIRACLE that I will record :) Okay. This was super special. Last night after
the conference we had a look up that we have been asked to do. Sister Montgomery
wasn't feeling good at all-- so we debated letting her rest so her stomach
would settle. But she decided she felt okay enough to work. So we went to visit
the woman. It was kind of a weird situation. We had her name from our RS
president who only had her information from a Visiting teaching record, and her
record wasn’t in the membership list. So we wanted to go check it out. So when
we went there was a young man who was outside the front door that clearly was
probing us. But when he found out who we were let us in, and found that the
family was SOO excited to have us there. Anyway they could
not go to church because of some things but she has a Jewish religious
background and is still STALWART in her Book of Mormon reading and things. Her
step son is not a member and we were able teach a little bit of the restoration
and in our first appointment invited him to be baptized on July 6th. He is
excited to learn more. He has the support of his family so this will be
spectacular. He is 20 years old.
I love this
gospel. I love The Lord. Thanks for all you do family.
Dad-------
have a wonderful birthday and happy Father's Day! :) love youuuuuuu!
No comments:
Post a Comment