Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Monday, May 26, 2014

Monday, May 26, 2014

Hello from Brooklyn.

Sounds like you are busy as can be!

So, we had a ward talent show for the fundraiser for the YM/YW camp outs, and I legitimately forgot to tell you; our district pitched in a talent.  So, Elder Thorley-- one of the 2 elders that went viral, is in my district, right? …And so he took the song that he wrote lyrics to for the cup song and we all sang the chorus and did the cup part.  Sister Montgomery's iPad ran out of storage space in the middle of the video so I don’t actually have the whole thing. But if the video isn’t too long I’ll send it home and you can get a glimpse of it.  It was super fun! They were also selling some service auction items, and food.

This week:
MONDAY-- My hair cut is still great! I love it! We were able to teach a lesson to a Recent Convert.  After going to the temple a few weeks ago, she is really thriving and her faith is growing.  We were able to teach her the Restoration again, and invited her to receive another witness that the Book of Mormon is true and that Joseph Smith is a prophet-- so that should be a good experience for her!!

TUESDAY-- was District meeting... It was a rough district meeting.  We got interrupted by the fire marshal because he wanted to check some fire things on the roof... So our meeting was kind of pathetic this week, but-- my mission is teaching me to 'go with the flow' something that is hard when you like to plan things.  We were able to teach an investigator that the Elders are also teaching.  We have recently implemented what is called 'open pools'.  When a few sets of missionaries work with an individual or family so that they can get different teaching styles and things. We just started doing that with this gentleman.  So we will see if it helps him to progress.  He has a Jewish background, and has come a long way in knowing that Jesus Christ is real and so he is dating a member, and looking to be married one day. That should be cool.

WEDNESDAY-- I was on my last exchange for the transfer.  We were with Sister Martinez!  A saint! Holy Hannah.  She amazed me with her focus on the people and the work.  I was sad for them because they have a cockroach problem.  Luckily bugs don't freak me out-- because they were everywhere. I should have taken a picture. Haha!  She planned the whole day so well, so we stayed busy.  I was in the Spanish pool in Dyker, and so that was hard a little bit-- you don't realize how much you show your love in words until you don't have them.  I was reminded again, for the 8 millionth time on my mission, how thankful I am the Lord knew I needed to serve in my native tongue.  We were able to have dinner with a member there, and do some look ups, and visit someone who had just gotten home from surgery. :) So fun. I am actually surprised sometimes how much Spanish from high school I really do know. :)

THURSDAY-- This was our 'Deep Clean' day. We are supposed to deep clean once a transfer on the Tuesday of week 5. But... yeah--- that didn't happen.  Time is scarce to come by, so- this is when we had the time.  It worked out good.  Our pad really hadn't been cleaned as well as I would have liked when we first moved in. so- I was able to do some of that, and Sister Montgomery was able to make TONS of phone calls which set up our next week. That night we were able to meet with a woman who wants to get back on track to going to the temple. That was a treat-- she is so sweet.  I was sad to see how someone who had at one time been completely active, fall away and really forget the basic principles and doctrines of the gospel.  We also met with a family.  I am telling you-- I love these kids so much. They are hard to teach- but we got lots of their questions answered.

FRIDAY-- This was SUCH a funny day for us! We went to visit an elderly woman in the ward that is sooooooooo cute!  I think that she is 86 years old.  She is doing well, but just lonely when her kids aren't at home visiting.  So we scheduled a time to visit her and she agreed.  Something that I need to add is that she is really deaf, and doesn’t have hearing aids. I pulled out my Drum Major Voice to talk to her, and sometimes that wasn't even loud enough. Haha! :) For example, "SO HOW LONG DID YOU MEET WITH MISSIONARIES BEFORE YOU WERE BAPTIZED?" "...um--well, I don't think he is 21, I'm pretty sure he is 26." And so we would wait until she would crack a joke [sometimes, not all that funny] so we could just BUST out our laughter without her knowing why. :) What a memorable experience for us. I am excited to hear some of her life stories, I am sure she has great life principles to teach us with.  Talking to older people is so fun!

SATURDAY-- The sister training leaders are putting together the women’s conference that is July 24th, and we are planning to record a video that talks about the appropriate interaction with elders. The senior couples are going to be the people in the video.  We are excited to do it.  So Saturday morning, we planned the scripts and then after that we did the Plan of Salvation chalking and talked to some families. It was a great experience.  We need to do it again since it rained... Haha!  That day we also were able to teach a new investigator that was found from a Head Quarters Referral. She requested a bible and wants to learn more. She really wants this for her family.  We have great members, and were able to have them teach with us. I am so thankful for their willingness. We can't do it without them!

SUNDAY-- A lot of people were out of town for Memorial Day, but we had a great lesson on 'spheres of influence' that I just loved.  They talked about how we touch so many people’s lives, and sometimes we don't even realize it.  It really helped me to see again the importance of looking outward. It’s kind of my new mantra in life.

Next transfer is definitely going to be busy-- I keep seeing how the Lord makes everything pan out perfectly.  He places us where we are needed at specific times so we can bless the lives of others and so THEY can bless ours :)

I am sure there is more I am forgetting.... but oh, well.

Love,

Sister JaLynn Freeze

No comments:

Post a Comment