Monday, February 24, 2014

Monday, February 24, 2014

Monday, February 24, 2014

Thank you for the update-- I really enjoy hearing about the doings of the family and the ward. It is sometimes really weird to think that I had a life before of "Mormon-kid partying," 3:30 am bedtimes, and things like that... I'm not going to lie-- I do miss it, but here, I actually feel fulfilled. It is really just such a blessing.

So, I don’t really know where to start, other than just recounting things that happened-- so. Here you go.

MONDAY of last week- P-DAY. Holy Hannah, that was so fun. We had a GREAT time playing Volleyball. I really did.  I don't know what it is about the game that I love so much, but I really love volleyball. I really love team activities and sports [just not assignments in school- I hope I never see another of those...] I guess I just love feeling needed- and that is why working as a team is important- you need everyone.  I felt really good about myself- I was complimented a few times on how I played.  Ever feel grateful for the people in your life that helped you learn certain skills?  Well, I have a LONG list people, starting way back in 7th grade that helped me learn to play- even if it is just for fun. And then the summer before my mission all the people that just laughed with me as I made a fool of myself.  People are great- I need to remember to be patient with others like they always are with me.  The more I am on my mission the more I realize how impatient I really am.  I seek to be more patient, not just tolerant, but truly patient.
We were in charge of FHE this week- talk about fun!  We decided to play "Mormon Mad Gab" We had so much fun making up that game! We just made a list of Mormon phrases that are used a lot, and then made them into Mad Gab phrases, that are hard to read.   Then we had the room split up into 2 teams and a representative would read the words off of a turned around chalk board and the people on their team had to guess it.  I think I will keep the words we used.  It will be a great game to do again sometime for a church activity.  Some of them were fairly easy, but it was fun non-the-less.

TUESDAY was great-- as always! It’s my favorite day of the week usually.  We have district meetings then and I always just learn so much.  Because we are a trio between two districts our district leaders decided we would combine our meeting to save us two more hours each week.  I was almost bummed they did that because district meeting is so fun two sounded appealing :) Haha.

This same evening we had a special miracle!  We had received a text message from a referral we got from Head Quarters that she wanted to learn more; for reals! When we initially contacted her she did want to meet with us, but something’s were going on in her family that made it hard to meet.  So it had to go to the back burner.  We contacted her a few more times, but more of the "yes,  I really want to- but it may have to wait." To be honest, I didn't see it going too far, and our contact over the phone was very sparse. But one day, she called us and asked us if we could meet! AND THEN sent a second text asking if it could be that night! Of course, we freaked, and rescheduled our whole night to make the lesson happen. It was BY FAR, thee MOST powerful lesson I have ever set foot in. The WHOLE thing was guided by the spirit, I didn't have to worry about Preach My Gospel bullet points, not about "how to begin teaching," nothing. The whole thing was guided by the spirit and allowed for her to open up, and for pure doctrine to be taught. She has a special story. She met her current boyfriend on a dating website, he came to visit her-- they went back to Utah and he gave her a Temple Square tour. She LOVES the church, has stopped partying, stopped drinking, and wants to stop using the "F" word. She really is committed to bettering herself.  She is really young, early 30s.  She wants to be married in the temple it sounds like.  She truly just ate up the things that she was being taught.  She says that she keeps the BoM in her purse so that she can read it, she really is just a ball of light. All it takes is for them to be invited to learn more. :) We will be meeting with her weekly which is cool!

For WEDNESDAY there is less to report, but we did have a great time. Sister Lewis went to the temple for her 1 year mark and so we took her to home base, at the Mission office [hour and half away on train] to exchange with another companionship that was already going to the temple for their one year mark as well, and then we came back and took a bible to a woman that wanted it for her 10 year old daughter, we also stood at the door and gave them a restoration pamphlet- they were very welcoming to us coming back and teaching them a more and studying the bible with them a little bit- so we plan on doing that this week. It should be good :) Then that night we got my companions set to go to Staten Island for their exchanges. Every other transfer they try to do "sister-wide" exchanges to meet more sisters.

So THURSDAY Lewis [Spanish missionary] went with Blosil [English missionary] in the English pool there. Hodgson [English missionary] was with Galitli [Spanish missionary] in the Spanish pool in Staten. Sounds like they had quite the adventure. They got lost on the way back to Staten because their GPS broke, and they didn’t have another, so they got home around 11pm, and were almost out of gas. And one companionship took the wrong exit and were dumped off in New Jersey. So they came back as soon as they could. Since everything is so close it is so easy to get stuck out of your mission, especially if you don’t know how to get back. Technology though- miracles, it sounds like the iPad saved them both :)

My exchange was fabulous, we were able to teach a woman that literally taught us the whole restoration lesson and some of the gospel of Jesus Christ lesson too. She also is a media referral that wanted a bible, since she already received a Book of Mormon while she was in Trinidad! She is so cool. She studies so much, and it sounds like has already met with missionaries informally through anther family member before. So she was excited to see us. She really is so wise- and just wants the truth. she believes there is only one true church, she just doesn’t know where it is, and she said that before she goes to Trinidad again next week she will read lots of the Book of Mormon to prepare herself to talk to the missionaries there. She really is prepared and knows that God will give her and answer to her prayers.

I learned a lot on my exchange about some of the things that need to change, I don't always know how to do that, but I look forward to more in depth studies and more focused prayers. 
Sister Hamblin and Delrie were my companions for the day-- they are champs! Just so on top of things, are really in tune with the spirit. I am always amazed with the missionaries we serve around. Future General Authorities and Auxiliaries.

FRIDAY was a great day, we went from one end of our area to the other we visited a Spanish  speaking woman in the hospital- to be honest, I just show love to them- because 1/2 the time I don't always know what is going on.  Then we literally went to the top of our area to get to a new move in from the Spanish ward. :) She was so sweet!

Also, I was walking down the street this day, and the three of us were walking side by side taking up the whole side walk, but then I moved when I saw this guy coming down the street. But I guess I didn't move out of the way enough- because he chose to punch me in the bicep. He had Beats headphones on so when I said "EXCUSE ME?!" really loud he didn’t hear.  I was totally fine, only hurt my ego.

SATURDAY We had a great Stake Auxiliary meeting with all RS, Primary, and YW Auxiliary. IT was great. All the sister missionaries were invited, and they had a highlight thread of involving the missionaries far more in all aspects of the church, not just proselyting. Our calling doesn't just stand over the new converts and investigators. We are here to spread the gospel to ALL. :) USE US. Want the missionaries to print your talks for RS? We’ll do it.

SUNDAY we went to 6 hours of church, Correlation meeting and lots of things were going on- but 30 minutes before church I was asked to speak on the "windows of heaven" I realized they wanted me to talk on tithing from the conference talk-- but nothing felt right. So I talked on how the windows of heaven are open to us as we pray with faith.  It went really well. I didn’t know what I was going to speak on until 10 minutes before I got up. But I was the closing speaker, so it gave me some time to complete a few basic trains of thought. The spirit really led that talk- considering it was the first time I’ve ever spoken for 10-15 minutes on a non-prepared topic. Haha

FYI: my hair has grown 3 inches in 9 months! :) :) Kind of fun- though, when I see girls with pixie cuts I want to cut it back. Haha

JaLynn

No comments:

Post a Comment